Obligation to register

Anyone taking up residence must register with the registration authorities within two weeks. If you move house, you must register your new residence with the relevant authority. You must also deregister with the registration authority when you return to your home country.


On November 1, 2015, a new Resident Registration Act becomes effective in
Germany: From then on, everybody needs a confirmation of the landlord/provider of housing space ("Wohnungsgeberbestätigung") in order to register the apartment in the city of Augsburg.

The provider of housing space is either your landlord, a person mandated by your landlord or the main tenant if you are a subtenant.
Please bring along your passport and the filled confirmation
"Wohnungsgeberbestätigung" if you want to register your new apartment.


If you are moving abroad or giving up your secondary residence, you must deregister.

To deregister, you only need your passport.


There is no charge for registration or deregistration.